About It Park
Situated from the many southerly fjord in the united states, Porteau Cove Provincial Park features waterfront campsites by having a view over Howe Sound towards the hills beyond.
A classic ship happens to be sunk to give you interest for scuba divers and also to attract marine life. You can find unique facilities for divers.
Date Established: July 24, 1981 Park Size: 56 hectares (4 hectares of upland and 52 hectares of foreshore)
Know Prior To Going
- Tide, wind and climate conditions can alter abruptly in Howe Sound. Be careful while swimming and boating in this area.
- Please guarantee young ones are supervised while from the crisis ferry pier.
- Scuba divers aren’t allowed to utilize the motorboat launch.
- The BC Rail train track skirts the boundary associated with the park. Going into the park calls for crossing the train track. This will be a train that is controlled, be careful and obey all indications.
- You will find 2 low tide markers near the drifting dock that aren’t mooring buoys and mark really water that is shallow. Anchoring is prohibited inside the park boundary.
- Because of appeal and measurements for the campground, BC Parks has implemented a stay that is maximum of 7 evenings in the top season in this park (June 15 to Labour Day, comprehensive). Reservations are manufactured through BC ParksвЂ™ Discover Camping Reservation System.
- Leave No Trace: examining the rocky coastline at Porteau Cove may be a fantastic and satisfying experience, but fishing, shellfish harvesting or elimination of other marine life just isn’t permitted. Please reduce your disturbance by making every thing as you discover it.
- Public Pay Phones: the pay that is public are no longer available. They’ve been eliminated throughout the adjacent highway construction and there’s no information available as to whenever this solution will likely be reinstated.
- Septic System: Porteau Cove is on a septic system, such as the sani-station and washroom structures. Antibacterial soaps and chemicals that are harsh the health insurance and functionality associated with system. Please help protect the septic system and water quality by utilizing just biodegradable soaps throughout your stay
- Sani-Station вЂ“ Winter provider: The station that is sani stay open unless freezing conditions are forecasted. The sani station will be closed until the temperatures remain above freezing over a 24 hour period during periods of freezing weather.
- Aquatic Conservation: examining the coastline and diving/snorkelling may be a worthwhile experience at Porteau Cove. Please practise keep no trace ethics whenever observing marine life during the park by making every thing it and by not removing or handling the wildlife as you find. Beach fires aren’t permitted. Please see gatehouse in the campground for upcoming demonstrations that are interpretive activities!
- Stargazing and Aurora Borealis viewing is now ever more popular at Porteau Cove. Please lessen pollution that is light the park to improve stargazing satisfaction by preventing the utilization of bright lights and switching down outside lights between 10pm and 7am.
- As a result of the close proximately of campsites at this park, be sure to guarantee music and noisy sounds are held in your campsite at all times to supply site visitors because of the chance to feel the noises of nature, also to protect and boost the soundscape associated with park.
- Plan ahead/carpool: Due to high volumes of traffic together with tiny size of the park, there clearly was restricted parking available. One extra automobile is allowed per campsite for an fee that is additional. There is certainly a optimum of 2 cars per campsite whenever you want. Walk-in campsites have actually just one car room per web web site whenever. Drop-offs is not accommodated as a result of security risk of park road becoming limited. Extra parking comes in the day-use parking area, but additional areas may never be available on weekends. Site site Visitors must register when they remain in the park past 11pm and show a legitimate license on their automobile. Non-registered visitors aren’t allowed within the park previous 11pm.
- Please be aware: peaceful Hours are 10 pm to 7 am: Music, generators, etc. needs to be turn off entirely between these hours.
- Generator usage is just allowed involving the hours of 9am вЂ“ 11am, and from 6pm вЂ“ 8pm. View the generator policy
All campsite reservations needs to be made through Discover Camping.
Whenever reservations aren’t available all campsites work as very very first come, first served.
Campsite Reservations: This park is available year-round and is frequently complete during good climate. Campsite reservations are needed for several campsites in this park from March 24 to October 9.
Location and Maps
Maps and Brochures
Culture and nature
- History: whenever вЂњPorteauвЂќ (porte dвЂ™eau) is translated from French into English it indicates вЂњWaterвЂ™s GateвЂќ. This title dates from 1908 whenever John F. Deeks began mining the considerable sand and gravel deposits right right right here to produce Vancouver. A tiny community of workers lived here before the start of the anxiety, enjoying good housing, a schoolhouse, tennis courts, and daily ferry solution through the Union Steamship business. These ferries, Lady Cynthia and Lady Cecilia, operated between Vancouver and Squamish before the railway (then Pacific Eastern that is great extended from Squamish into North Vancouver.
- Preservation: You are going to the intertidal house of residing flowers and pets. Please protect your marine resources by making them as you see them.